Текущее время: четверг, 2 мая 2024, 19:32
Пользователи, которые читают эту тему: 1 гость
Новая тема Ответить
#281 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
http://www.thedome.de/interviews/28806 - интервью с Анетт и Туомасом)
в самом начале Анетт так заразительно смеётся Very Happy а Туомас так держит микрофон, как будто, это он берёт у ней интервью Very Happy
#282 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
NIGHTWISH BLOODY NIGHTWISH
Finland's finest return in August for Hammer-sponsored Bloodstock

Finnish pomp rock überlords Nightwish will be bringing a dash of style and class to this year's Metal Hammer-sponsored Bloodstock Open Air festival. The globe-conquering quintet will headline the final night of the event, which takes place at Catton Hall, Walton-on-Trent, Derbyshire from August 16-18. Speaking with Metal Hammer, singer Anette Olzon is full of enthusiasm about her forthcoming return to the British Isles.
“We're playing a number of European festivals this summer, but Bloodstock will be one of the highlights for me,” she says. “Getting to play in front of UK fans again will be special. On the last UK tour the fans were really enthusiastic. The tour was sold out and I was made to feel welcome everywhere.”
Having only been an official member of Nightwish since may 207, Olzon is still getting used to the sheer devotion and hysteria that greets the band every time they hit the road. Fortunately, since replacing former singer Tarja Turunen, she has been overwhelmed by how positively she has been welcomed by the band's huge UK fanbase.
“At no point did the British fans react badly to me,” she says. “Nor did they chant for the previous singer. They accepted the new line-up without question. They were like old friends! I can't wait to go back.”
After a successful first year in Nightwish, Anette Olzon could hardly be blamed for looking forward to a well-earned rest, but it looks like she'll gave to wait for a while yet before she can put her feet up.
“The plan is to stay on the road until the autumn of 2009!” she laughs. “Yes, we've more than a year of touring left. By the time we finish, we'll have been out for about two and a half years. That was decided before I joined the band.”
Nightwish are topping an increasingly awesome Bloodstock bill this year. Along with co-headliners Opeth and Dimmu Borgir, the Finns will be joined by At The Gates, Helloween, Primal Fear, Iced Earth, Soilwork, Akercocke, Overkill, As I Lay Dying, Moonsorrow, Alestorm, Evile and many, many more.
#283 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Уже известная на официальном форуме Afrodite выложила перевод интересного интервью-статьи с Маэстро...советую Wink http://www.nightwish.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=37680&view=findpost&p=2404075

When Nigthwish's leader's brother got married last summer Holopainen caught the garter thrown into the wedding crowd.
"I made a speech and promised that I'd be married by 35. I've now got five years." Wink
#284 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Ну что же, у девочек-фанаток осталось 5 лет Very Happy желающие, быстрее загадывайте желание на падающую звезду и уперед, на танки, то есть в Финляндию Wink

интервью очень интересное, редко такие бывают. Казалось, обо всем успели спросить, на любой вопрос получить ответы...
Жалко все-таки их, очень жалко. Столько времени прошло, а пресса все никак не успокоится, постоянные придирки, сравнения, и неизменные выводы...нескончаемые просто Embarassed

After the firing of Tarja Turunen many reporters have changed their attitudes towards Holopainen. He is now to many a witch in black who drove Snow white away. In international interviews, which Holopainen has done hundreds lately, two patterns repeat themselves.
Others blast the question of the reasons behind Tarja Turunen's firing at the very beginning - like the reasons would be told to them for some reason after a year and a half of secrecy. Others do a proper interview but say in the end how Nightwish has changed their lives - and now Anette Olzon has ruined everything.

#285 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Спасибо юзеру Mau оф. форума.

The Continuation of a Dream
Nightwish

Almost a year ago Nightwish new singer's name was revealed, and with her the most recent disc material. This facts made rumors & curiosities appear, that no one but the band itself could clear us. Las may 2nd we had the chance to talk with Tuomas and Marco, this is what they said to Grita:

G: How you all feel about this new NW album? Is it like a new begining?
Tuomas: Many people believe that's a new era or a new begining for the band, but I've never seen that way. Is more a continuation of what we left some years ago; this time a band member changed, but it isn't totally a new begining

G: What was the reaction of NW fans about this album?
T: Incredibly positive. Up to now we've made like 92 shows with Anette, the new singer, and I've only listen once a guy in Finland screaming <<Tarja>>. I haven't seen a single <<mid finger>> in the audience. Up to now, the answer has been really good. It's the album we've sold most.

G: How you've feel on stage with Anette? Has it been hard for her to sing songs Tarja used to sing?
T: There are some songs that need more practice for her, some fit better for her voice and some others not really. For example, songs like Nemo or Ever Dream she interprets them perfectly, but we need more practice with songs like Wishmaster, The Siren or Sleeping Sun. In the begining there was a lot of preasure for her, but I believe by now she has learned to relax more, we can see her dancing more on stage.

G: How complicated was to prepare this album without a singer? You had any idea of how the voice should be?
T: It was a feeling of great freedom to write the songs without knowing who was going to sing them, but this album has been the easiest of lyric writing. I never suffered form <<writer's block>>, they were born easiest compared with albums like Once or Century Child, where block lasted for a couple of weeks, but this one was a very fluid process.

G: A friend of mine, the German soprano, Gaby Koss, she made an audition for you and she told me that you were looking for a voice like Tori Amos', is that true?
T: What we were looking for was something completerly different from what we had before, that was the only thing we based on: we didn't want Tarja's copy. We didn't know what we were looking for, we just knew that when the right person would be there, our heart would know.

G: Has been hard to bring the new singer to Tarja's place? In some way we know you are the esence, Nightwish's Heart, but she was the image.
Marco: Tarja had become into an icon for people, that's why we had to let her go. People seem to be accepting that NW is more one unit, so in some way is better to focus on that.

G: I have the theory that Bye Bye Beautiful is dedicated to Tarja, am I right?
T: yes, that's very true (laughs)

G: How was the creative process for this song?
T: With NW I've wrotten about things that have influenced me a lot. I had the need of writting about that because it was a very dramatic situation in my life. It's a sad bitter good-bye.

G: Getting away from NW, what happened to your side project For My Pain?
T: We had an album in 2002, but then everyone was busy so basicaly we didn't have time for making an album. For My Pain isn't dead, we are just busy for now.

G: And how about Tarot? (Marco's side band)
M: A live DVD of a show we did last year is comming. Probably will be ready on June in Finland, so when we finish this tour I believe we'll have some free months to give me a rest and get into work with Tarot guys.

G: Is there any chance Tarot may visit us someday?
M: I don't think so. It would be great for the guys to see the places and the great audience here, but I think it's too soon to say something. We will have to see what happens.

G: Finally, some words for your fans both old and news.
M: Hello mexican fans! It's really good to be back. It's been a long rest: new album, new singer. Thanks for comming to the shows. We will always give the best for you, that's for sure!

Talking a bit about Anette:
"She has participated in several bands, like a tribute groub to ABBA. She was with Alyson Avenue, and recorded two albums with them. She has passed through many weddings and funerals, and all her life she's been into music, but she has never been into a band like this neither on so many tours" - Tuomas
#287 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Гм ...
Цитата:
Nightwish выступали на фестивале Rock im Park в Германии, тремя днями раньше Children of Bodom выступили хэдлайнерами на фестивале Sauna Open Air в Тампере и отправятся в скором времени в Великобританию. Упомянутые концерты обеих групп были очень успешными. Однако, днём раньше другой концерт Nightwish прошёл не так хорошо. Туомас рассказал о проблемах со звуком, и впервые толпа приняла их не так уж и тепло.

- Когда мы вынуждены были покинуть сцену во второй раз из-за проблемы со звуком, я сказал, что этот концерт сорван. Тогда Анетт показал свои коготки. Она повысила голос и сказала мне, что концерт будет сыгран! – ДА, мадам!

И после этого люди доказывают что уровень фестивалей, в т.ч. звука на них - отличный ...
Rock am Ring, Rock im Park ...

Цитата:
- Мы вернулись, когда толпа уже ожидала Offspring, которые должны были выступать после нас, и в нас бросили апельсины. После того, как мы отыграли несколько песен, я посмел поднять взгляд от клавиш и увидел, как хорошо Анетт работал на толпу. В тот момент я так гордился ею!

А в этом плане Нетти вапче умничка!!! =)
#288 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
За переводы спасибо Afrodite с оф. форума!

Apu 10.4.2008

Nightwish on world tour

From a milk train to a bullet train

Nightwish and the band's new vocalist took over London three nights in a row. Still the band's massive world tour is just beginning.

London is intertwined in an odd mist when Nightwish is doing its soundcheck in the legendary Astoria. Two of the three day gig row in the soon to be deconstructed club are already sold out and the third is a few tickets missing from a full house.
At eight the warm-up act Pain gets on stage and at the same time the traditional buzz starts in the backstage area. The frigde is filled with the ingredients for the Dennis the Menace -drink (= 2 cl vodka, 2 cl bananaliqueur and 10 cl milk) and beer, the band changes into their gig clothing and the small suspense in the air becomes comedy and foolish utterances.
Eventhough Tuomas Holopainen later criticizes the first London gig as "an alright three star act" as the intro tape begins to roll the Astoria almost tears apart. The storm of shouts increases when the band, especially Anette Olzon, comes on stage.

The routine

The mornings start this week in the Radisson Edwardian Berkshire- hotel on Oxford Street without a rush - and late. Drummer Jukka Nevalainen and bassplayer Marco Hietala drink tea in the lobby bar.
- Actually the routine is always to wake up in a hotel or buss, drink a cup of tea, have some spare time and do interviews, play the Nintendo or read a book and wait for the evening, Hietala summarises his program for the next two years.
- The thing is emphasized to what you do on stage and that's what gives the biggest kicks. We've had parties and will have, but after a week and a half of partying nothing goes right anymore.
Everyone in the band recognizes that this tour will definetly be different after Anette stepped into Tarja Turunen's high heel shoes. The reception has however been heartfelt.
- We're still learning to get to know eachother. She needs to learn the rules of the house and we need to count her in. For the guys this is normal but for Anette this must be hard as hell.
- As a person of order it most be hard for her to get used to the idea that at least on the promo side schedules change constantly, the band's longtime manager Ewo Pohjola enlightens.
Marco thinks that everything being more or less chaotic is a part of the job's nature.
- We still try to inform everyone as soon as possible. If you have to be ready to go all the time you won't manage for long, Marco says and tells about the mistake the Londoner record company's representative did when he gave the next day's interview list to Ewo thirty minutes past midnight after the show.

Magic

Emppu Vuorinen, Anette and Tuomas have each spent a shopping day on their own ways in London's world of shopping temptations. Tuomas' trip to Camden has brought a grey top hat with which the man undeniably looks like a magician as he returns to the hotel. The slightly smudged eyeliner can't tame the sparkle in his eyes.
The real life magician's apperentice Holopainen is in good hands you see: the bagpipe player Troy Donockley who's featured in two Nightwish songs in on tour and Tuomas' mentor in magic.
- Now the spark has struck. Magic is an art such as music, Tuomas declares.
After last night's gig at the hotel Troy has again done unbelievable tricks in which he for one reads thoughts.
- That freaked me out a little. Sometimes your own thoughts freak yourself a little. Let alone if someone would find out about them, help! Tuomas admits laughing.
Spontaneous magic shows are however a rare treat on a long tour. Tuomas says that he has gathered new hobbies on this tour.
- Kind of like people in prison I try to keep my mind busy. I first learned all the capital cities, then the states of the US and now I bought the beginners course of German. This definetly isn't rock'n'roll but a nice way to kill the time, he grins and plans to next learn all the faraos of Egypt.
- Perphaps we've calmed down a little on tour. Everyone gets that this will last for the next two years. It's better to eat sushi than pizza.
One of the most shocking moments on tour was Tuomas', Emppu's and Jukka's visit to Auschwitz's concentration camp.
- That was a heavy experience. We made the mistake of watching Schindler's list the next day in a hangover. I never want to go back there, Tuomas gets serious.
- The evil of man is unlimited and the visit left quite a mark, Jukka admits.
- The guys weren't smiling after that, Marco, who visited the same place in the 90', describes.

A dream job

The last night in Astoria is beginning. Running thourgh the club's rambling corridors and hundreds of stairs left a obvious efect on to everyone's buttocks.
There's still no sign of being tired and the line turning over many blocks outside makes you smile.
- This is a true dream job for the most part and it's better not to think that until September 2009 we'll be on the road. It's better to go a week at a time, Tuomas decides.
- It's wild that after all that hazzle this thing continues to rise. I really didn't think it would go like this, that I can say from all my heart.
Tuomas says that the pace is fierce at the moment and you can never know what will happen. He does promise that albums and music will be done for a long time.
- I'm just so happy. Really. I know myself so well that I know I'll have the strength. I'm more stressed for the people around me, like Anette who jumped straight from a milk train to a bullet train, Tuomas says.
Two nights before the wives were in London but have now on the last night returned to home in Finland.
- It's back to normal, Marco Hietala states from the corner of a sofa with some nostalgia.
- I don't think that families take this job the wrong way. We have some ground rules. When an album comes out it's time for a tour. Luckily the summer schedule is more loose. There's a lavish three weeks off in the beginning of June, Jukka smiles.
- When it's possible the wives are on tour every now and then. We don't want to bring the children to big cities, Marco adds.
Talking about offspring, what's dad's view about choosing a profession?
- Heh, I recommend a good education and a proper profession. Unless there's something wrong with your head and you end up in this profession by force. And that might have happened to me, Marco laughs.
Four hours later there's a cheeful mood in the lobby bar. Bubbling drinks sparkle in peoples hands as Troy does amazing card tricks. In magic and in music a person is free for a fleeting moment.

Tour over a million euros

Nightwish's tour is in every way the band's largest its history. The europe leg's, that's ending on April 19th, ticket sales climb over 150 000 and the performance places have been bigger than ever. In Switzerland Nightwish sold out its biggest gig for 13 000 people.
- The expenses have grown in the same speed. Of course we get something back, but the tour is mostly for promotion purposes, the band's manager Ewo Pohjola tells.
- If on the Once-tour the band played in halls for 3000-5000 people now the halls are for around 10 000 people which affects on the expenses, Pohjola specifies.
With Nightwish now tours 55 people, four buses, three trucks and an own kitchen with six delicacy masters.
Being on tour costs tens of thousands every day. Whether there's a gig or not, Pohjola adds.
At this point it's impossible to count the tour's costs even for Europe since the tickets are still being sold.
- The costs are roughly over two million euros. The band pays artist tax 15-30 procents depending on the country. And in some places the gig place earns more money on merchandise sales than the band because of the commissions.
Pohjola doesn't want to guess about Nightwish's future or paint fantasy sceneries.
- Still it's only a fact that there will a generation change in stadium size heavy bands. And there might be some Finnish band in there somewhere, he jokes.
#289 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Kaksplus 11/2006

A musician's family chimes

Nightwish's drummer Jukka Nevalainen and folk musician Sari Kaasinen tell what music meand in their families. Starting a hobby doesn't require much: sing or put on a cd and dance.

In the Nevalainen family nursery there are opera heavy posters along with Winnie the Pooh posters. There's a shiny group of platinum records in the stairway. The Nightwish player's most important tools, the drums, are in the second floor of the home in Joensuu. In Jukka and Satu Nevalainen's family everyone loves music. Dad's band Nightwish is the best according to three year old Luna.
- Luna sang through the Ti-Ti Nalle karaoke this morning, Satu Nevalainen tells. Now Luna doesn't feel like singing anymore but she'd like to bang daddy's drums. Luna's little brother, nine-month-old Niki, is more concentrated on tasting the drum sticks. The sound of drums regurlarly echoes through the house since Jukka needs to maintain his skills everyday.
Jukka and Satu met at the age of nine in music class.
- I got a crush on Jukka already on the second grade in the line to the dentist, Satu reveals. The crush turned mutual at a school party on the ninth grade at the latest since after that the couple has been together. The wedding was held a year and a half ago.
Eventhough Satu and Jukka met on music class, music wasn't an exclusive intrest for neither of them in school. It was a hobby among others.
- I started to play the drums in a conservatory at eleven. On the ninth grade I joined my first rock band and after that me and Nightwish's Emppu have always had some band together, Jukka tells. Satu has played the violin and the piano in the conservatory.

Daddy goes on tour again

The Nevalainens continued to the same class in upper secondary school after comprehensive school. Though Jukka had bands the dreams of a profession were at first totally different. After upper secondary school and the army Jukka studied data processing and marketing at the University but the studies are unfinished so far.
- After Nightwish's second album I became a full time musician. In addition to work, world tours and family life there isn't much room in the calender for studies, tells Jukka, who also has his own company consentrated on rock-mailorders.
At this point of the interview little Niki falls down and Satu hurries to calm her son. Luna sits on the sofa next to her dad since she doens't feel like soloing so much in front of company. Nevalainens are now living a tight family life since Satu is taking care of the kids and Jukka is working from home. The situation isn't permanent:
- As soon as Nightwish's new album comes out we'll head out for a world tour. The last time it took a year and a half and I got to come for about a week at a time every four weeks, Jukka tells. Both the musician and the wife say that the situation is challenging.
- During the last tour Luna was so small that she didn't miss her father yet. But now she's such a daddy's girl and cries over the smallest departure, Satu tells. On the other hand Luna wonders a little why some dads are home so much when her own dad is on the road.
Jukka's blood draws him on the tour but it's always great to come back to the family. Luna has gotten to know dad's job and the festival life in Tuska-festival and Ankkarock. On Nightwish's gig the girl was almost upside down from pride and happiness. Niki was already in mom's belly listening to Mötley Crüe.

If music doesn't inspire you can do sports

Getting the children to know the world has been started in an early age. Satu went to baby music school with Luna but after that the music experiences have been gotten mostly at home. Also the time in kindergarten before Niki's birth and the grandmother's songs have added important stimulates to the world of music.
- We listen to music almost all the time. Luna likes Ti-Ti Nalle and Fröbelin Palikat but also likes to listen to rock. In the car Luna always wants to put dad's or some other heavier cd on, Satu says.
The parents don't want to control the childrens taste in music and they don't say yuck to any music eventhough it isn't accroding to their own taste. Niki doesn't talk or walk yet but the little knees jiggle in the beat of good music. The little rocker has also tried to hum a little to Lordi's, one of big sister's favourite, music.
Dad's drums are a great object of fascination for the drummer's daughter.
- Especially with her cousin boys Luna bangs the drums. Luna seems to have a good sense of rhythm. I haven't taught her anything yet but the girl still plays sharp stuff, Jukka tells proudly.
In the future Jukka and Satu intend to offer the children the oppertunity to try out different instruments.
- We can suggest something but won't force them into anything. The kids can try for themselves whether an intrument inspires. If it doesn't they can try something else, even sports, Jukka says.
So far it still seems that there will be no sport competitions in the future. Luna plans on starting a band, when she's older, where she'd sing. What do the parents think of these career plans?
- That's alright. When you've gotten such great experiences through music yourself you can't of course stop your kids. But we won't force them either but let them choose themselves.
#290 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
И ещё - Nightmail с Юккой!

Alicia from France:
What's the first thing that you do when you're at home ? =)

Jukka:
When I get back home from tour I always first greet my family but then I always start heating up sauna. If there's one thing I'd like to export from Finland it's definitely sauna!!

Cristina from Barcelona:
You are involved in the world of music, you know what it's like to be touring and being so far from your family. If your children became musicians, what do you think you would feel as a father??

Jukka:
I would definitely encourage them but I would also tell them about all the possible problems and ask them to make it clear to possible life partners about how things are and how they will be. Compromises have to be done whenever possible, but when it comes to for example touring, there's not just you and your family who you need to think of, there are other band members and technicians too. So it has to be very clear how things work so that no unpleasant suprises like cancelled shows/tours will occure because of family issues.

But I would of course tell them about how great it feels to get on stage and also tell them all the other great things about being musician.

mistrez of metal from san fransisco!:
Do you guys ever get pissed off at eachother from being on tour and being stuck together for such long periods of time? If so how do you resolve such things?

Jukka:
Every now and then you'll get pissed off by the way the other guys act or behave, but everybody has learned to give some space and also swallow their anger if needed. Obviously there's bound to be situations when you have to take a time-out, and then we'll just talk it through and tell the other person where he or she is going wrong, and at least so far we've been able to settle the score without fisticuffs.

Maija from Kuusankoski:
Which Disney character were you afraid of when you were kid? Or were you afraid of some other figure?

Jukka:
I wasn't afraid of any Disney figure but I happened to see an episode from Twilight Zone (I guess it was in that series) of Shadow Man, and after that I checked under my bed for quite a long time before going to sleep.

Ali from USA ~ NJ:
What was the funniest moment on tour so far?

Jukka:
The best moment on day offs has definitely been a day in Las Vegas and especially a 2 hour roulette session with Tuomas where I won 1100 dollars. Sometimes you just get lucky.

charlotte from england:
what song do you feel the most 'emotion' and 'power' whilst performing?

Jukka:
It has to be the last part of "The Poet And The Pendulum". It's extremely easy part drum wise so I can just go with it, listen to the lyrics and feel.

Joana from Portugal:
Do you still have time to work on The Shop?

Jukka:
Thanks to good Internet connections it's easy to run the webshops also while on tour. Other guys are taking care of daily tasks in our warehouse but I'm still taking care of many things on the background.

Tinuviel from Germany:
Do you want anymore tattoos?

Jukka:
I've already thought about getting my next tattoo, but I still haven't decided when. I keep thinking about it all of the time, and as soon as I come down with the final picture, I'm gonna have it inked.

mikko from karvia:
What was the first song you leaned to play? Have you ever played any other instrument?

Jukka:
I already learned some songs earlier in music school and band school but can't remember the names. But the first song I learned to play as whole was probably Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters". I have never really played anything else than drums.

Emilia from Kajaani:
Are drum sticks easier to handle than women? Very Happy

Jukka:
Absolutely! The drum sticks twirl the way you make 'em twirl, but with women, sometimes you just screw it up and drop the stick. If you miss a beat when you're playing, it isn't the end of the world, but even the tiniest mistake with a woman can cost you dearly. Then you're faced with hours of torturous discussion, tears and grinding of teeth. Men! Become single drummers!

Minä from Suomi:
Have you ever had cramps in your arms or legs during a gig? If so, did it disturb your playing? Good luck and lots of success... :]

Jukka:
I rarely get cramps, but on the "End of an Era" gig, maybe during "Ghost Love Score", I got really bad cramps in my legs. We had already played the set one and a half times during the afternoon with full force, so it had been a pretty hard day. It was quite interesting to try and maintain some kind of a beat when your legs were twitching and refused to obey any commands. Fortunately the cramp relaxed after the song, and I had no problems during the rest of the show.

Konrad from Poland:
1) How do you spend your holidays?
2) Are you religious?

Jukka:
1) We try to travel with my family whenever it's possible. Unfortunately it's not always feasible when we have a break, because my wife is working, but then I'll just spend time with the kids at home and do normal domestic stuff that I miss on tour.

2) I'm not religious in the same sense the word is used by the Church, but I believe in most of the teachings in the Bible, and I also believe in good deeds. You don't need to believe in a higher power to believe in good or to respect other people. It's enough if you treat others as you'd wish to be treated yourself, because a lot of good will come out of that.

Erixon from Umeå, Sweden:
What is the best thing about being a drummer?

Jukka:
You get to play THE INSTRUMENT OF GODS!!!

mark from Ireland:
How well have things gone for you in the USA compared to past tours there?

Jukka:
Extremely well. The most important thing is that now we've get to play those tours in USA. Two tours done and next one is already book for September. The vibe has been really good on shows and there's been plenty of people so we are expecting a lot from the September tour.

Lodrik Bardric´ from Uldart:
Are you going to play a show naked?

Jukka:
=) We've really talked about it, 'cos nobody would see it behind the drums, and the ventilation would be so much better, but I guess I'd feel so bad for Ulsch (the drum tech) that I wouldn't want to parade my well-formed behind in front of his nose.

Andriy from New York:
Do you play any computer games? Which ones? And which of the latest Finish rock scene releases is your favorite?

Jukka:
I don't play computer games, but on tour I kill time with Nintendo DS. I'm currently playing Puzzle Quest, and that's a really addictive game. It's a good way to get rid of some extra hours.

I haven't bought so many albums lately, but I absolutely want to hear the new album by Stella as soon as possible.

Kati from Czech Republic:
When you're on the tour, do you watch the performances of supporting bands?

Jukka:
I always check one show at the beginning of tour and if band turns out to be interesting live band I check other shows as well whenever possible.

Karen from Deutschland:
When you are home with your children, do you sometimes watch children's programs on TV? If yes, which ones and what do you think about them?

Jukka:
Yes I do! The absolute favorite is "My friends Tigger and Pooh". It's excellent and my kids are just crazy about it. Another great one is Mickey Mouse's Club House. Kids always sing along with the characters and it's all just a blast!

Justyna from Chicago:
If you could go back in time (only once) where would you go? What would you fix?

Jukka:
If I could travel back in time only once, I'd naturally right a wrong or some great tragedy. Maybe I could take care of a certain corporal with a funny moustache and stop this "visionary" before he could realize his harebrained schemes.

But if I could just travel back to some time/place I'd really want to visit, I guess I'd go and see how it was when dinosaurs ruled the world.

Verunka from Czech republic:
What was the best present you've ever gotten?

Jukka:
If we talk about fan gifts, my absolute favorite is a guitar pick shaped metal necklace with a caricature of my face. It's really cool, I'm wearing it right now.

Ariel from North Carolina:
Tuomas said you didn't care much for "For the Heart I Once Had." Why?

Jukka:
The song was pretty boring in the rehearsal phase without vocals or anything. We also had a minor dispute about a certain drum part -- I wanted to make it more interesting, but Tuomas and Marko had a different opinion, and in the end, we chose the more straightforward alternative. And after the vocals, orchestra and choir, it became a really beautiful track.
#291 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
да, наконец то)) жаль мой вопрос не прошел)
#292 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Сколько интервью сразу Rolleyes#2 Выкладающим - огромное спасибо!
#293 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
найтмейл как по часам работает, надо спросить что нибудь дельное у туомаса)
#294 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
С официального форума. Перевод The Enigma.

Iltasanomat 05.07.2008

Tuomas Holopainen: "Fans go knocking on my windows"

The composer and keyboard player of Nightwish, Tuomas Holopainen reveals to IS that he is a little scared of his fans who are so eager that they'd go to his house in Kitee knocking on windows.

- Quite a few people go to my home knocking on windows, which is a little scary. It is the only downside in this job, says Holopainen in the interview with Iltasanomat.

Along his stardom Holopainen must have adapted himself to some limitations in his life.

- I won't quite go peeing on the sidewalk ater a night in a bar. I am a little more careful in everyhting I'll do.

Holopainen doesn't want make a big number of this matter.

- I don't want to complain because it's my own choice after all.

Iltasanomat: the linked video interview

Tell me how you reacted to the fuzz about Anette's style?

- Just like us all, we just keep chuckling. They had to make something out, that's all. We laughed and Anette herself laughed [at it].

Have you had any say about her clothing or about her style in general?

- We never had any need for doing it. Anette told us to say aloud if we had anything, what would work and what would not. Actually we have discussed about some things but it's her own area.
- No she doesn't have a stylist, none of us never had any stylists. We choose our outfits by the feelings. I had so positive and light feeling at Tuska so I decided to take a white coat, Anette happened to have troll-day, so she chose more like trollish stuff.

Anette vs. Tarja

I think it's mild. I'd expect much worse, I mean really really worse. The crowds have had very smart attitude. They understand most of what happened and hve given Anette a chance and if someone didn't accept her they'd just let the band alone. Very very little so called ugly feedback have been sent. No we've 120 gig behind and one middle finger been seen in the audience...

Have you gained new fans because of Anette?

- Surprisingly many. It's a thing I didn't think much in the beginning, but now really many people come to tell me that they actually liked the band long time but the voice of our ex was a bit too much to get used to, but now it is easier for the ear and they area ble to listen to us.
- I think that the number of fans we lost with Tarja we have gained new, at least, with Anette.
#296 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
"But here playing in Poughkeepsie for 700 people in a really small rock and roll club"
Хотела бы я побывать на концерте Nightwish в таком маленьком клубе. Но для этого надо поехать в Северную Америку. Хотя, может быть, и там они скоро будут так популярны, что будут выступать в только больших залах Smile

А еще в этой статье интересные фотографии. Я первый раз вижу Туомаса на концерте в цилиндре Very Happy
#297 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Старое интервью, Туомас и Анетт. Перевод musicangel.

I came across this article lately. It's very long and it says nothing new. It's from around the release of DPP *takes a breath and starts translating*

Editor: Karel Govaert.
Source: Mindview, June or July in 2007

NIGHTWISH: THE TEMPEST IS NEARLY OVER

Almost all year the Finnish gothic rock-formation Nightwish has been in the metal vision. De big question, that burnt on everyone's lips for months was: "Who is going to be the new singer of Nightwish?" The solving answer came by the end of May from the band itself. The unknown Anette Olzon could call herself the follow-up of Tarja Turunen since then, who was pointed the doorway in 2005. Shamefully the discussion about Tarja's firing was fuelled again and bandleader/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen was burnt down for the second time. But the man with the eternal smile doesn't allow his heart to be touched and simply continues with Nightwish and Anette behind the mic; the promotion of the sixth studio album 'Dark Passion Play' and the worldtour that'll kick off soon. Three days before the deadline of this edition, undersigned hurried to the Dutch capital and found a relaxed Tuomas and Anette in the bar of an Amsterdammish four star hotel for a talk.

THE QUEST

After Tarja's departure we had to wait very long for the name of the new Nightwish-singer. Did the quest take that long and why the name had to be kept so secret?

Tuomas: Looking for a new face wasn't our priority, although the fans and the media expected so. The story is as following. Our last album 'Once' was released in 2004, followed a successful tour that took about a year, with Tarja's firing after the last concert as something down in the happiness of partying. In 2006 I started writing new songs myself for 'Dark Passion Play', which we recorded during September last year. The vocals were planned to be recorded in March this year. That's why we took our time to find a suitable replacement and set ourselves that if we had found her by January 2007 for the band, it would be okay.

Anette: When I knew after the auditions that I would be their new singer, the guys made me promise not to say a word or talk about it in the press. It wasn't a matter of messing with the fans, the guys and I myself preferred waiting until a full-mixed song with my vocals was ready. If we had told the news in January, people would've judged me for five months, or even condemned for my looks and not for my vocal abilities. That wouldn't have been fair.

Tuomas, we all know you are the musical brain of the band and while writing the music and lyrics, you had to cunt with the person who was to sing those songs. How hard the writing process was this time, because you were rid of your musical muse and Anette wasn't in your vision yet!

Tuomas: *laughs* Oh, don't worry, I had enough other muses left. For the song 'Bye Bye Beautiful' I still had Tarja, for the other songs I used an imaginary muse. This question is still asked me, because people apparently don't understand how you can write music without knowing who's going to sing the songs. This fact has never been an obstacle for me. Moreover, I wrote both the partitures for the instruments as the vocals at the same time and had a good singer in mind all the time. How that woman would sound, I didn't know yet.

I would think it's not only a good voice that makes the song to what it is, but also the personality of the singer behind the voice. Or do I see it wrong?

Tuomas: No, you've got a point there. But I presumed there would be some singer walking out there with whom I would have a good click on the collegueal side.

The first co-operation with Anette on 'Dark Passion Play' is a fact. What makes her the perfect follow-up for Tarja?

Tuomas: I don't say this because Anette sits next to me now, but we're both the same when it comes to music, really! Next to that, I like her personality. We can get on well with each other and Anette is on the same wavelength as the guys and I when it's about the future of the band. But above all, we love her vocal sound very much. Oh yeah, and she has the same bad sense of humor as we have.

Anette: *laughs* Well, thanks for the compliment!

THE DOUBT

Anette, you've made quite a jump in your career. From choir-singer, through studio-musician, over vocalist for (for us pretty unknown) Alyson Avenue till frontwoman of world's biggest gothic-act. If you weren't chosen, would you have tried to become singer in a less known act?

Anette: Yes, but not for a rock-band like this. When I was in the middle of the auditions for Nightwish, there was another famous band called Elis (the gothic-act from Liechtenstein that also had to look for a new singer after the death of Sabine Dünser in 2006, KG). But I didn't give it a try because I didn't feel a connection with their music. Yes, I did want to sing fulltime in a band and tour the world. I got to know Nightwish and their music in 2005 through a cousin of mine who is a fan. I hired a CD from her and watched the 'End of an Era'-DVD and that was it. The first meeting with Tuomas and the others was very exciting. I didn't know what type of guys it would be and if we could get on well, but my fear was based upon nothing.

On different forums on the internet, people are constantly comparing you to the previous Nightwish-singer. There are many different opinions, to say it gently. How do you deal with that?

Anette: I look at things like this in an easy way. I have kept a watch on the forums for a while, but I don't care too much for the criticism of the negative people. It's all about taste in the end. If you don't like my voice, you don't like it. I can't help it. It would do me a pleasure if the fans give me a chance and are okay with the choice of Tuomas and the guys to consider me as the face of Nightwish in the future. I am who I am, Anette Olzon and not Tarja Turunen. I guess, for every fan the band loses, another fan joins.

Tuomas: I think so too. One week ago we visited Nuclear Blast in Donzdorf, Germany for a signing session. More than thousand fans from seven different countries were awaiting us there to get an autograph and a photo of Anette. that does say something.

The doubt may lessen after the first gig of your new world-tour. Do you have a setlist ready and what are your favourite Nightwish-songs to sing, Anette?

Anette: *enthusiastic* Yes, we do have a setlist ready, but I don't know if Tuomas allows me to tell too much about it. He chooses the songs, I perform them. I can relief the fans. The songs don't change drastically because I'm going to sing them. They're still the same songs.

Tuomas: We have rehearsed about 23 songs, of which we'll pick some for every show. 'Sleeping Sun', 'Wishmaster', 'Ever Dream', 'Nemo', Wish I Had an Angel' and the new single 'Amaranth' will certainly be there, along with several tracks from 'Dark Passion Play'. It'll depend a bit on which songs are doing best, both to us and to the audience. A good example of this is 'Wishmaster'. When we rehearsed this song with Anette for the first time I was in shock, in a positive way, to be clear. And I feel that more people will be astonished when they've heard it live. With 'The Phantom and the Opera' I have a different feel. We haven't rehearsed the song yet, but I have an apple-blue, sea-green feel it's not going to work with Anette. It's a song I really composed for Tarja's voice back then. It's hard to explain why and I may be wrong, but I don't think this song will work any longer with Anette on the vocals.

THE ESSENCE

I think every band delivers a 'classic' during their career. In the case of Nightwish, it's 'Wishmaster' from 2000. How heavy is the pressure to start with a brand-new album after such a masterpiece?

Tuomas: There is no pressure, I just don't think about that. 'Wishmaster' was awesome, but I didn't count with that when I was writing for 'Dark Passion Play'. That's how it should be in every band: just try to improve yourself in an artistics way, not think about selling numbers or reactions of the fans. I even never ever think about what my collagues in the band will think of my tracks. It seems selfish, but it's my task to keep the Nightwish identity.

Let's have a look at some songs. Which band starts his album with an opening-track that takes a small quarter?

Tuomas: *laughs* We. If you have the store-edition of the CD; read the lyrics and look at the artwork of the entire album, you'll understand what poin the title 'The Poet and the Pendulum' and the artwork make. And, above all, why it's so long.

'Bye Bye Beautiful' is about Tarja's firing. Don't you find it annoying to sing about that?

Anette: No, not at all. The lyrics don't contain anything like cynism towards Tarja or they're not about the pleasure of suffering. The song can be interpreted in a broader way and that's why it's such a beautiful and humble song.

The softer 'Eva' and the louder 'Amaranth' are the first two singles of this album. Why did you choose songs so different from each other?

Tuomas: I consider 'Eva' rather as a teaser to introduce Anette. That's why you couldn't buy it in stores, but download it through internet for a small fee. The refunds of it went to The Arc, an organisation for children who are mentally behind and often from poor families on top of it.

Anette: 'Amaranth' was chosen democratically, three votes versus two. Tuomas had preferably released another single. Counting with the media we have made a compromise here. 'Amaranth' is catchy, has a chorus you can easily sing along and is long enough to be played by the radio-stations. What else do you wish for?
#298 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
A job as score-writer in the movie business maybe? The B-side of 'Amaranth' has the soundtrack of 'LIEKSA!', a movie currently playing in the Finnish cinemas.

Tuomas: This is something I've always wanted to do: writing the music for a film. When they asked me I felt very honoured. 'While your Lips Are Still Red' is a Nightwish-song outside the catalogue, take that from me. It's a song full of atmosphere with Marco (Hietala, bassist/vocalist in Nightwish, KG) only on the vocals. 'LIEKSA!' is a comical drama that deals with life on the Finnish countryside. Nightwish is first plan of course, but if they ask me once more in the future, I won't have to think twice about the offer.

"The fans who leave Nightwish-without-Tarja in the future are Tarja-fans, no Nightwish-fans." Anette Olzon

"Nightwish is and remains my child. I've never ever asked my collagues what they think of my music. It sounds selfish, but that's how it works in this band." Tuomas Holopainen

NIGHTWISH
Dark Passion Play, Nuclear Blast

After singer Tarja Turunen, the frontwoman of the Finnish band Nightwish, was told thankyou for her proven services, the fans of the band started waiting in fear. Because, how in Heaven's name can you replace someone like Tarja in your band? As a miracle, Marko Hietala and his friends succeeded. With Anette Olzon they have found someone who is not in the looks' way or the vocal way alike to Tarja, but a singer pushing her own vocal mark on the whole thing. For the diehard fans of Tarja, it will be biting on a sour apple for the first few listenings, but the honesty commands me to say that Anette is vocally not as good as Tarja. Anette makes this up by the wide vocal spectrum she can reach, by which she creates more different vocal styles and in the end she'll make you forget Tarja. On top of that she lets you hear the Poet and the Pendulum that takes nearly 15 minutes, in which Anette can use practically her entire vocal range. A hard-to-dare step of the band, but a step that'll persuade the doubters of Anette's class. Anette also proves in the other songs that she fits perfectly into the more commercial sound Nightwish has chosen. You can hear that for example on the new single 'Amaranth'. 'Dark Passion Play' is already a brilliant Nightwish-album that'll convert more people into fans.
#299 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Nightwish in Tivoli

The Finnish metalheads charmed Slovenia

At the first sight Tuesday seemed like an ordinary day, if we excluded the heavy snowing, of course. But for the majority of fans of the Finnish metal group Nightwish, 4.3 was the day they have waited for a long time. The group came to Ljubljana, to Hala Tivoli, to present their latest album Dark Passion Play

The metalheads have been a part of the scene from the year 1996. They got famous about 2 years later with "Oceanborn". For less than a year they have a new singer on board. They have the credit for making symphonic-power metal popular. Before they took over the stage in an hour and half, they also took the time for some interviews or as usual- Tuomas Lauri Johannes Holopainen did.

Small, a bit dark room in backstage had two couches, covered with white coverlets, a low table with an ashtray and lots of drinks, which is only for the ones, who are older than 18 . I don't know why, but in a second I felt like I was on a high school party. I felt home. I was there for a minute, when the 31-year old Tuomas with black hair came into the room in his binding outfit with a hat and smiled friendly. There was no trace of any sublimity or haughtiness and as the interview went on, he only showed he is a real star, who deserves every single fan. And he is way cuter in live than on photos.

Hei, Tuomas! Greetings!How are you?
"Thank you, I'm great. Just as our fans we also can't wait to start with the show."

First off I would like to congratulate you for the ECHO award, which you won for the band of the year in "rock/alternative band" category in Germany. Was it a suprise, that you beat the famous music names or did you just expected to win?
"We never expect anything. Seriously. We were really suprised, because it's the first major award we ever recieved- if we exclude the ones in Finnland, of course.. To get a reward for the best band in the 2nd biggest music competition is definetly a huge achievement. Also because we were in the same category as Marilyn Manson, Foo Fighters and Within Temptation. The felling is really undescribable and the award is a big motivation for us and above all a proof that working with your heart pays off. And that we are on the right track.

Do you have any singers who inspires you, any band, who is a role-model to you?
"My greatest idols come from the world of movie music; Vangelis and Hans Zimmer- he especially is the best for me. I'm his fan for 10 years and that definetly influences the songs I write.

Which band do you like very much?
"Of the older bands definetly Metallica, Pantera and Tiamat. Besides that I'm trying to keep up with the Finnish metal scene, but I'm not very sucessful in that. I also like Enigma.

Tuomas, you do a lot of traveling with the band and this way you get to know lots of different audiences. Which was the one, who stands out the most with being loud and open- and did you ever came across an audience which was really holding back?
"When we come to true fans of rock and metal, they are quite similar no matter where they are from. But it is a slight difference among them; the more to the south we go on this planet, the more crazy it gets all together- in South America and in South Europe people are way louder than for example in Scandinavia. But that doesn't mean that we prefer to do shows in the South than in the North. We enjoy everywhere."

What do you think of the Slovene audience?
"We've been in Slovenia in 2005 and I remember we had a very good show in the open. I'm sure tonight we will have just as good."

Do you have any special rituals, rutines, before you go to the stage- besides drinking, of course- It looks like you are a very thirsty group by the amount of drinks here...
"No, no, this is for the reporters (laugh). Didn't they offer you anythig? Yeah, we are thirsty- before and after the show, but I don't think I'll be drinking tonight, because a cold is coming on me. I can already feel it (points to his throat). But I do usually have a glass of red wine, a cigarette and 5 minutes of silence before the show. Than I'm ready."

Today you will be able to have an extra minute of relaxing- you will start the concert as late as 9:30PM instead at 8PM like it was meant to be.
"Yeah, because of the hockey game which is taking place in the neighbouring hall, but it's not a big deal. I myself like hockey very much, in fact it's my favourite sport. Well, in the end all Finns are hockey fans."

Tell me the strangest, most anoying thing that happened to you on the tour or during a show.
"Hmmm... I remember I had to do something on the 1st album, which is something I can't do and something I really hate. I had to sing, basicly because there was no one else to do it. On top of it all we did a show in front of 30.000 people- can you imagine- wih my terrible signing. That was in 2001 and I can't understand how can we still have so many fans, because I was sure most of them died of laughter at that time (laugh). Signing is my worst nightmare and I really hope I woun't have to do it again."

What about the most beautiful thing which happened to you in your musical carieer?
"The most beautiful thing? There is a lot of them. But I did saw 3 gravestones with our songs carved in. I think that is really the biggest compliment which you can get."

Did it ever happened to you that a fan crossed the line, follow you around maybe or something like that?
"In fact I only have one bad experience with a fan but I will not talk about it (Even after perssuasion I can't beat him, what can we do, he is a man of principles). No matter how much they love our music and us, most of them are very nice and considerate. But it is strange sometimes, even scary, when you sit on your couch at home and you're watching TV and than you hear the doorbell and in front of the door you see fans:"Hi, we came from South America, we just want to say "hi" and give you this bunch of flowers." They do go afterwards but still... I mean I am happy beacuse of the flowers and of the atention, but still I think that a thicker line should be drawn between private and public life. I don't think it's right that they just invade in my privacy like that, even though I love to hang out with them, beacuse in the end our fans are the ones who put bread on our table."

When Anette joined the band, you said you woun't perform "Phantom of Opera" anymore. Why?
"This song was really made for the previous singer and for her style of siniging so it simpy woudn't be right to "force" Anette with it. The song would simply turn out quite different- not worse or better-just different."

What were the fan's reactions to the new singer like? Were you worried how they will accept her?
"We didn't want to reveal her identity too soon, becasue the last thing we wanted was her being judged on the name or a photo and I think we did the right thing. When the album came out and we just in Finnland sold more the 120.000 copies, we realized she is accepted. She is accepted on the shows very nice. Yeah, previous singer seemed better to some people, but time goes on and what happened, happened."

In what terms are you with Tarja now?
"In none. In fact we haven't heard and saw for 2 and half years, the same goes for the rest of the band. When we cut off musically, we separated privately too."

When can we expect a new album?
Since we will be still on tour 'till September 2009, don't expect anything before the year 2010. But you can expect some smal suprises in a few months time, not necessarily connected with the band, more like a side project... I can't give any more specific information but I can tell that in a month or two a new video is coming out. Don't ask for which song, beacuse we (band members) promised each other not to say anything." (If he doesn't say it, may I add that 30.5 the 5th singel will come out- "The Islander".)
#300 Ссылка на пост Добавлено:
Tuomas, most of our readers are teenagers. You know, the "troubled years". Were you a difficult teenager?
"My mom still says I was the nicest kids that ever lived. Supposedly I didn't go through puberty at all, I was never a problem and I didn't had a "rebel stage". I remember I was more like a lonely wolf, I had some friends and that was it. I was never teased in school or even noticed. I was a good student, I had almost straight A. Yeah, if I kind of draw the line, the thing I remember the most is that I was happy, pleased but alone most of the time- I lived alone with my parents, away from the noise and in middle of a forest. My brother and my sister are 12 years older than me and they've left the nest long ago. And I was left with my imaginary friends (laugh)."

What about your 1st love, do you remember it?
"Yeah, it happened quite late. When I got "involved" the 1st time and fallen in love, I was already 14 years old, and I've waited two more years for my 1st true kiss. Really late, right?"

Can I ask you something intimate?
"Yeah."

How old were you when you jumped between the sheets for the 1st time?
"18. We were together for a few months, than we stopped the relationship. With one mind, no one was really hurt. Today I have only nice memories of her."

How would you described your band in a few words, what makes you special?
"We are a good band with great vocals (laugh). I think that we are not that much different, we just do "landscape music for escapees"- wow, I said that nicely (laugh)."

Tuomas, one more question: Did you ever felt like just walking of the stage in the middle of a concert? Why?
"Yeah, in the year 2004. You know, mutual relationships, especially when it comes to relationships between two people, are something most difficult in the world. At that time it happened that we had to go on a concert right after something really scary (again he doesn't says what it was) and I was emotionaly so ruined I wished I could just vanished.

The Finns have won Slovenian hearts once again with the show. And how we accepted Anette? Even the ones, who don't adapt easily to changes gave compliments to her. And we all saw, sorry- heard, that girl knows what she's doing! She and the guys are a perfect team and the band filled the whole place with energy and pyrotechnic effects. They all breathed as one. Nightwish went to Hungary the next day and than they had two days off. If Tuomas's throat didn't heal in that time, it did for sure in warm Greece, where the tour went on.

P.S
Because the band was too tired, they've cancelled the after party, where they should meet with fans and journalists. But still they say, that we/you were a great audience and they will be back for sure. We will hold on to it.

Author: Tjasa Korbar
Foto: Miha Vidrih
Translation: Nessa Elensar
Форум / Наш Nightwish / Интервью с группой, статьи о группе
Загрузка...
Быстрый вход: